Whenever my students meet with me for an Orton-Gillingham lesson plan, they have a few supplies handy. I, of course come towing my large O-G bag, but I find having things that the student can easily access while I am not with them is helpful for them. Families have an opportunity to see what they are working on as well. The parents appreciate the chance to discuss what the day’s lesson was about. It’s all about keeping the lines of communication open.
(This post contains an affiliate link.)
Here are the supplies the student has:
- a one inch binder
- a composition notebook
- a folder to place inside the binder
- key rings or binder rings
- John Ayto’s Dictionary of Word Origins (welcome, but not a necessity)
Why Keep A Binder?
- I love keeping a record a everything for the families to see.
- Children have a opportunity to create a large collection of the reading passages they have practice with me. This is GREAT for review.
- No loose papers!
- Children love looking back to reflect on the progress they’ve made. This is a powerful opportunity to build in praise for all of their hard work over time.
If you are wondering about the posters I add to the binder, I use the ones I created them in the Spelling Concepts and Strategies Binder.
This resource is pretty big, so I keep it in its own binder and in my tutoring space. But I also give students copies of some of the posters, especially the ones for spelling generalizations. If you want your students to use interactive notebooks, there are a TON of templates included.
Does this system look manageable for you and your students? I’d love to hear from you.
Sign up for a 21-day FREE trial of Word List Builder. Simply create an account, login and you’re on your way!
Calling all Orton-Gillingham tutors and therapists! I have a directory of qualified educators on my site for parents to search. Join or search when you click on “Word List Builder” at the top. When you are there, click on “Find A Tutor” or go HERE. You may register to enter your contact information in the directory for only $10 a year. Families may search the directory for free!
A HUGE thank you for your continued support of me, my store and my website! It is greatly appreciated!