Hi everyone! Since I started The Literacy Nest over two years ago, I’ve received many thoughtful emails asking where to go to receive OG training. I thought I’d share my list with you today and the links you can go to learn more. My training was a year long with a 100 hour supervised practicum. Keep in mind NOT all OG trainings are alike or as comprehensive. Trainings and style can vary. I always recommend choosing a program that includes a practicum. You will learn the approach and methods inside and out by the time you complete one. I promise!
1. International Dyslexia Association– This is really your go to site for
all resources related to OG methods and programs. Consider a membership. They offer one for educators.
2. IMSE– This site offers workshops and week long trainings.
4. Dyslexia Training : This looks like a viable option for online training if a program isn’t available in your area.
5. The Academy of Orton-Gillingham Practitioners and Educators– This is a very well respected training institute in New York. They offer training in various states. A practicum is required.
6. IMSLEC: The Institute of Multi-Sensory Structured Language Education Council offers accredited courses and programs by state.
7. Orton Gillingham Online Academy: This is a great online training option.
8. NEW! Brainspring Educator Academy: Brainspring Educator Academy helps teachers bring Orton-Gillingham based multisensory instruction to the classroom. Our nationally accredited Phonics First® (K-5) and Structures® (6-12 grade) curriculum helps transform struggling readers into skilled learners with an effective, fun, multisensory approach.
If you can’t find a training that offers a practicum in your state or country, then choose the program that fits your needs. I promise you. It is the best investment you’ll make in making a difference in a struggling reader’s life. Do you have further recommendations for training sites I may have missed? Please let me know so that I may update this post. Feel free to comment or ask questions in the comments below.