I created an assessment system called On Track to help determine a starting point for your students when using the Orton-Gillingham approach and my materials. This is only one of the tools I use when I first meet with a student.
I’ve used a variety of assessments such as:
- Oral reading fluency benchmark assessment,
- Nonsense word assessment
- Rapid naming assessment
- Spelling assessment (I like the one from Words Their Way),
- Reading assessment that includes a running record, retelling and comprehension component.
- Anecdotal evidence from families and teachers is also very helpful.
- Look for patterns in a child’s errors.
- Where are the gaps?
- What does this child need?
- What is the next step?
I strongly suggest starting on the progression chart at the first error they make. Then your lessons will progress in that order. For example, if a child knows phonograms a, b, c, f, h, and i, but has an error at j, your FIRST O.G. lesson will be on the letter j. It’s ALWAYS better to start further back on the progression chart than to begin too far ahead, see gaps and then have to backtrack. O.G. lessons should feel EASY to a child when they begin with you. This will build their confidence.
Click here for level one.
UPDATE! PER CUSTOMER REQUEST, I ADDED A FULLY EDITABLE POWERPOINT WITH ASSESSMENT TEMPLATES FOR YOU TO CREATE YOUR OWN LEVELED ASSESSMENTS IN THE ON TRACK BUNDLE. THIS IS A GREAT OPTION FOR FOLKS WHO FOLLOW A PROGRESSION A LITTLE DIFFERENT THAN MINE. IT’S ALSO A GREAT OPTION FOR CREATING CUSTOMIZED, MID-LEVEL ASSESSMENTS FOR PROGRESS MONITORING.
|On Track Assessment|
- Check the sidebar of my blog for the heading, “Orton-Gillingham” for more related posts.
- Sign up for my newsletter in the right sidebar of my blog.
- If you are a trained Orton-Gillingham teacher/tutor, you may email me a request to join my private FB group for O.G. instructors.
Looking for even more tips?
Read: “What Does An Orton-Gillingham Lesson Look Like?
Have you used a similar assessment? I’d love to hear about it, so be sure to comment below. Best of luck in planning successful Orton-Gillingham lessons!
Enjoy the sale!
Sign up for a 21-day FREE trial of Word List Builder. Simply create an account, login and you’re on your way!
Calling all Orton-Gillingham tutors and therapists! I have a directory of qualified educators on my site for parents to search. Join or search when you click on “Word List Builder” at the top. When you are there, click on “Find A Tutor” or go HERE. You may register to enter your contact information in the directory for only $10 a year. Families may search the directory for free!
A HUGE thank you for your continued support of me, my store and my website! It is greatly appreciated!