Seven things parents would like their child’s pediatrician to understand about dyslexia
- Screen early. (as early as preschool and kindergarten). Offer the pathways to early screenings. Screening early will help to end the “Wait to fail” culture in schools.
- It’s the most common learning disability. 1 in 5 people have it.
- Dyslexia is on a spectrum. There are degrees of severity.
- Listen to what parents tell you. This is a big one. Parents have gut instincts when it comes to their kids. Please take the time to listen to what they observe and what their concerns are.
- For pediatricians to know what dyslexia is (signs and symptoms, myths, facts.) There are lots of opportunities to spread facts about dyslexia. It is still misunderstood. Having access to sites like the International Dyslexia Association is incredibly helpful.
- Offering to treat dyslexia like it’s ADHD is the wrong approach. Even though some kids have ADHD and are dyslexic, there is no RX for treating dyslexia.
- Refer patients to a neuropsychologist when signs of dyslexia show up. Having names of reputable neuropsychologists to refer to can be so helpful, rather than having to search for your own.
“Nessy Reading & Spelling is a web-based, reading program developed by a team of specialist teachers and psychologists. Developed for students aged 5-12 with reading differences such as dyslexia, Nessy is a powerful teaching tool for all students, including English as a second language learners.
99 independent learning lessons spread over ten engaging islands employ an intensive, multisensory, and sequential method of instruction based on the highly respected and researched Orton-Gillingham approach to reading & spelling. Lessons emphasize phonemic awareness, phonics, blending, sight words, fluency, spelling, vocabulary and comprehension. Each island consists of a series of lessons composed of strategy videos reinforced with games which teach fundamental reading & spelling skills.
If you’d like to give it a try here’s a 10% off promo code when you purchase Nessy Reading and Spelling! Are you ready? Use: nest10 when you checkout. If you have used any of the Nessy apps, I’d love to hear how they’re working for you! Thanks for stopping by today. Keep fighting the good fight!