7 Tips for Getting Off to a Great Start with a New Student
For children who have had really negative learning experiences, meeting with a tutor is a scary prospect. They may have had situations where teachers or classmates mistook their challenges for lack of effort and became angry. They may have experienced teasing or feelings of shame. Creating a safe learning environment is incredibly important in order for the student to make gains.
1. Gather information.
2. Get to know each other.
3. Take time to teach procedures.
4. Use early lessons to expand assessment findings.
5. Be deliberate and sparing with your words.
6. “Go as Fast as You Can and as Slow as You Must.”
7. Have some fun and offer some choices.