Who's up for a challenge?I am going to challenge my readers to find a NON-FICTION book to pair with it. This means after you hear my synopsis, think of a biography that would pair well with. Then enter the Rafflecopter and comment below. I will choose one winner randomly and you will win a copy of the book to read to your class!
The Girl With a Brave Heart: A Tale From Tehran is written by Rita Jahanforuz and illustrated Vali Mintzi. It is one of the amazing books from the Barefoot Books Collection.
The Girl With The Brave Heart is a compelling story of a girl who is challenged to follow her heart despite what others say. Shiraz is a young girl, living in Tehran. She has lost her mother and her father has remarried. Her Mother left her wool to weave before she passed. Shiraz was about to weave a winter sweater when her ball of yarn falls off the balcony and lands in her neighbor's courtyard.
Shiraz goes to retrieve the wool and meets her mysterious neighbor, a sad older woman who has given up on life. She asks Shiraz to complete some unusual tasks in order to get the wool back.
Find out what mysterious and magical events take place in this story of bravery, and misunderstood people. Your students are going to love this story. There's even a little bit of a Cinderellae-esque feel to it!
Four books that immediately come to mind
when I read The Girl With The Brave Heart:
(These are perfect for text to text connections!)
- Babushka Baba Yaga by Patricia Polacco
- Chicken Sunday by Patricia Polacco
- The Gardener by Sarah Stewart
- Mufaro's Beautful Daughters by: John Steptoe
Before you go...
1. Are you following me on Pinterest?
2. Have you checked out Barefoot Books selection of amazing children's literature? You can find
The Girl With The Brave Heart there, and many others. I love that tons of the books are accompanied by audio, a real plus for the kiddos I work with who need that added component to access text successfully. There's a special sale on selected books until May 31st. Just use the promo code: SPRING2015 at checkout. Use this link to shop or click the Barefoot Books button in the right sidebar. Thank you for your support!
3. Have you thought about becoming an ambassador for Barefoot Books? Click the button called 'Join our team' in the right side bar or email me at email@example.com
4. Did you know I have a special Facebook group called The Literacy Nest Goes Barefoot? I share craft ideas, Barefoot Books and hold parties and events. You can click here to request to join and I'll add you!
Don't forget to comment below and enter the Rafflecopter for a chance to win The Girl With The Brave Heart.
Enjoy the rest of your week. Follow your brave heart!
a Rafflecopter giveaway