I chose organization. This word carries a lot of weight. Being a Mom of three little ones under the age of 3 leaves me very little extra time to organize and complete household projects. And yet, the paperwork, and clutter is still creeping around. My first goal in the new year is an organization intervention. I am having a team of professional organizers come to my home this week. They are literally going to give me an intervention and set goals with me to help me stay organized. I cannot wait to roll up my sleeves and get some much needed help. I will keep you all posted!
Do you set goals with your students? Maybe you make some in August/September when the school year begins, but mid year is a wonderful time to sit, reflect and adjust goals as needed. I've found some wonderful picture books over the years for goal setting with kids. Here's a collage I made of some.
Each one of these books has a similar message for children:
- Mistakes are OK.
- Adversity builds character.
- Obstacles may come in your way, but never let them stop you.
I've also discovered a fun website for kids to learn about goal setting on their own or with the help of an adult. They have some wonderful starter books to get the conversation going and flowing. You can check it out at: http://humanbean.com/goals.htm
The human bean outlines the benefits of goal setting with children as follows:
- Purpose. Having a strong sense of purpose boosts self-belief and can improve your child's confidence. It is something meaningful and worthwhile to aim for.
- Focus. Having a goal in life helps them make better decisions. Will a certain activity get them closer to a goal or detract from it?
- Motivation. It gives them motivation in life. Because the goals are meaningful and personal to your child, they’ll want to achieve them. Having goals in life gives you them motivation and the energy to keep going." Source: www.humanbean.com
Thank you for stopping my blog today. Please join me back here next week for a new topic!
Teacher bloggers who'd like to link up: Use the inlinkz tool below.
Click here for a button and schedule for January. Thank you!